From left: Yuwen Yong, Lan Ling, Xue Wu
- Title: Lan Ling Wang
- Chinese Title: 兰陵王
- Language: Chinese
- Genre: Historical Drama
- Released: August 14, 2013
- Main Cast: Feng Shao Feng (Lan Ling), Ariel Lin (Yan Xue Wu), Daniel Chan (Yuwen Yong)
- Synopsis: A romance story enfolds when an ordinary girl, Yang Xue Wu encounters the handsome Prince Lan Ling. However, their identities challenges their love, with Yang Xue Wu being desired by many as she is dubbed as the Heavenly Maiden and Prince Lan Ling, having the need to protect his people from the corruption of the royal government, in which this obligation poses a threat to their relationship. Despite, the chain of events that stands in their way, they manage to pull through it all as a couple.
- Comments: Finally exams have finished and I am back to reviewing dramas! But anyways let’s get started with the storyline. The narrative is heavily dependent on romance (obviously) with a tad of politics weaving through it (and chemistry – I thought it was kind of hilarious how they incorporated it into the drama). I loved the interaction between our two main protagonists and how their love is impermeable by exterior forces (well most of the time). Besides the two main characters, I was quite fond of Xiao Dong and An De Wang (he’s such a funny guy – pulling all those suss jokes). It’s kind of sad to see Xiao Dong leave so early and how can they just cut him off like that – it all happened pretty abruptly. I find An De Wang’s flirting moments really awkward and painful to watch – it was just so awkward. The acting, I must say, was pretty good. But, Ariel’s performance was kind of weak. I think it had something to do with the way she delivered her lines – it didn’t flow naturally. Feng Shao Feng. Need I say anything about his acting? His performance was just amazing – he took us on a roller-coaster ride of emotions.
- I seriously didn’t like the female costumes! They looked atrocious. The collars of Yang Xue Wu’s costume looked like those frills of the frilled-neck lizard. And at one point she looked like a Christmas tree, dressed in red and green and sporting a green wreath-like necklace. It was just plain awful. That’s not all, Xiao Lian’s Empress costume was bright and colourful – the colours didn’t seem to blend in well with each other – it resembled a kid’s fairy costume. But, the male costumes were likeable. I loved Prince Lan Ling’s costume, especially the costume with the black feathers and rich red and black. He looked amazing in it.
- It’d be nice if they had a more wider range of settings (there wasn’t much to Yuwen Yong’s palace) and a different selection of the women’s costume. But, other that it was pretty good! I totally recommend it to you guys!
Prince Lan Ling & Yang Xue Wu
Gao Wei & Xiao Lian
Xue Wu & Yuwen Yong
Lan Ling & Xue Wu
Prince Lan Ling & Xue Wu